There’s little shortage of scientific proof why you should wash with eco-friendly soap rather than synthetically produced antibacterial soap, which can be detrimental to both your health and the environment’s. Eco-friendly soap isn’t just better for the environment; it’s good for your skin and your health.
1. You are exposed to potentially contagious and harmful germs. That is if you wash with anti-bacterial soap. Compared to natural soap, the anti-bacterial soaps on the market today contribute to weakening your immune system by killing off the good bacteria you need to stay healthy. This means you are exposing yourself to potential harmful germs that can make you sick. This is especially important to know if you have a weak immune system or other illness. Other known effects of using anti-bacterial soap (which contains the dangerous chemical Triclosan) are; fertility problems, alter hormone function, and even can cause birth defects in animals.
2. Triclosan is a pesticide. The Environmental Pollution Agency (EPA) has classified this common chemical found in almost all anti-bacterial soaps as a pesticide. Moreover, the FDA classifies this chemical as a drug. Additional research shows that as this chemical is introduced into the environment it can leak into the ground water. The inorganic compounds have the potential to wreak havoc on fragile aquatic eco-systems around homes and businesses that use these soaps.
3. Commercial soap manufactures remove the glycerin. Glycerin is an organic compound and serves as an all natural moisturizing agent. Because glycerin is an extremely profitable substance it is often removed during the saponification (soap-making) process and sold for a huge profit. Glycerin is also removed to harden the soap and to make room for chemical additives. Harsh chemicals, artificial colors and synthetic lathering agents are added back in to convince consumers the product is beneficial. Eco-friendly soaps are made with natural ingredients found in nature. Natural oils, clays and botanical powders are common ingredients found in eco-friendly soaps.
4. Natural soaps are bio-degradable. Our environment is a fragile, beautiful thing. Every time you lather with non eco-friendly soap, nasty chemicals and toxins can be released back into the ground water. These pollutants are contributing to a vast array of environmental issues from destroying fragile aquatic eco-systems to reproductive issues in both humans and animals. Using all natural eco-friendly soap is not only good for you, but it is good for the environment as well.
5. Waste is reduced by foregoing excess packaging. By purchasing products that actively reduce their waste both in packing and manufacturing you help keep the environment clean. This means you are putting less into the environment and landfills. Using less is more should apply to more than just your soap products. When you actively contribute to landfills is the outcome can become counteractive to a healthy lifestyle routine. If you pride yourself on being an eco-conscious human, reducing your waste is essential to keeping our environment safe, clean and thriving.
At Pure & Gentle, our all-natural, eco-friendly soaps are a perfect way to protect the planet and your family’s health. Check out our full line of eco-friendly soaps today!